11 Immune Boosting Supplements - Part 3
What Is Rutin?
Rutin (also known as Vitamin P) is a bioflavonoid that is found in vegetables & fruits such as apples, oranges, figs and drinks such as tea.
It is a potent antioxidant that can help aid blood circulation, strengthen + increase flexibility which helps with recovering from minor injuries such as bruises.
Because Rutin can help with promoting circulation, there has been research which shows it can prevent the accumulation of blood clots.
5 Benefits of Rutin:
- Lowers Cholesterol - A study showed people who consumed 500mg of Rutin 1x a day decreased plasma LDL cholesterol levels
- Reduces Arthritis Pain - A study showed it suppressed oxidative stress due to its anti-inflammatory & antioxidant components
- Minimise Risk of Heart Attack or Stroke - As mentioned earlier, Rutin helps the formation of blood clots which can lead to a reduction in heart issues or strokes
- Reduced Feelings of Cold Feet or Hands - Rutin helps improve circulation and people have felt noticeable benefits in the reduction of feeling cold in their extremities
- Protection of Brain Cells - By increasing blood flow, more oxygen is available to cells in the brain
Recommended Daily Dosage: 250mg 2 times a day.
2. Vitamin E 400iu Natural
What Is Vitamin E?
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that may help protect cells from damage and is a naturally occuring vitamin in food.
It is a fat soluble vitamin which your body stores and uses when it is needed.
Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that can help reduce free radical damage which weaken and break down your healthy cells.
5 Benefits of Vitamin E:
- May Help Repair Damaged Cells - People exposed to higher levels of environmental toxins such as pollution & cigarette smoke will likely have higher concentrations of free radicals
- May Help With Eczema - A study found that Vitamin E could produced improvements in Eczema
- May Help With Psoriasis - A study showed a reduction in psoriasis symptoms with Vitamin E topical application
- May Help Prevent Nail Health - Some research suggests that yellow nail syndrome can be prevented with Vitamin E supplementation
- May Help with Eyesight - A study showed Vitamin E supplementation was linked to a decreased risk of age-related cataracts
Recommended Daily Dosage: 15mg a day.
3. Green Coffee Bean
What Is Green Coffee?
Green coffee is coffee beans that haven’t been roasted and are in their raw state.
Despite being one of the most popular beverages in the world, many people have never tried raw coffee beans in their green state.
Drinks such as Tenzing have included them as an ingredient in their energy drinks.
5 Benefits of Green Coffee Beans:
- Reduced Risk of Type 2 Diabetes - A study showed a 11% lower risk of type 2 diabetes from increasing their daily coffee intake by just 1 cap
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease - Despite causing an increase in blood pressure initially, coffee can help prevent cardiovascular problems such as heart failure
- Reduced Risk of Skin Cancer - A study showed a 20% lower increase in skin cancer when people consumed a minimum of 4 cups of coffee
- Reduced Risk of Parkinson's - Caffeine helps stop nerve cells which produced dopamine from dying
- Reduced Risk of Cancer in General - A study has shown that coffee drinkers are 40% - 50% less likely to get liver cancer
Recommended Daily Dosage: 400mg a day.
What Is L-Theanine?
L-Theanine is an amino acid found in most teas such as green tea, black tea and in high doses in matcha green tea.
It has been the go-to choice for people who want to drink coffee whilst avoiding the jitters that come with it as the combination of Caffeine & L-Theanine seems to work synergistically.
The combination of coffee with l-theanine has risen in popularity in the Biohacking community also.
5 Benefits of L-Theanine:
- Increased Levels of Calm - A study with 104 people found L-Theanine reduced stress & anxiety in people experiencing a stressful situation
- Increased Levels of Focus - A study showed that young adults were able to focus better during demanding tasks
- Improved Immunity - There has been research which showed L-Theanine can improve the function of the body’s immune system and reduced the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections
- Better Sleep Quality - A study has shown it could be the perfect night nurse with doses of 250mg & 400mg improved sleep quality in humans + animals
Recommended Daily Dosage: 200mg, but doses have been shown to be safe in doses as high as 900mg.
5. Baikal Skullcap
What Is Baikal Skullcap?
Baikal Skullcap is the name for Scutellaria which is a flowering plant from the mint family.
It has been used in traditional American & Chinese medicine and its name is derived from the Latin word, “Scutella” which means “Little Dish”.
5 Benefits of Baikal Skullcap:
- May Boost Mood - A study showed people experiencing a significant improvement in mood from supplementing with Skullcap for just 2 weeks
- Antibacterial & Antimicrobial Properties - A study showed Baikal Skullcap helped reduce bacterial load in the lungs
- May Act as an Anti-Inflammatory - Chinese Skullcap contains antioxidants which protect cells from being damaged by free radicals
- May Help with Sleep - Baicalin is a compound found in Skullcap which has been used in traditional medicine as a treatment for insomnia
- May Help Protect The Brain - A study has showed that American Skullcap has neuroprotective properties
Recommended Daily Dosage: 3g - 9g Daily.
6. Lion's Mane Mushroom
What is Lion's Mane Mushroom?
Lion's Mane Mushroom is a large, white mushroom that can be eaten raw, cooked, dried or as a tea.
It contains bioactive substances that have positive effects for the body - particularly the brain, heart & gut.
5 Benefits of Lion's Mane Mushroom:
- May Help Grow New Brain Cells - A study showed that Lion’s Mane Mushroom contain two special compounds which stimulate growth of new brain cells
- May Speed Up The Recovery of The Nervous System - A study showed that Lion’s Mane Mushroom can help repair nerve cells & stimulate growth by reducing recovery time by 23% - 44%
- May Reduce Heart Disease Risk - A study showed that a company called hericenone B which is in Lion’s Mane Mushroom can reduce the risk of heart attack & blood clotting
- May Help Reduce Inflammation & Oxidative Stress - A study showed Lion’s Mane Mushroom contains anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties
- May Help Boost The Immune System - A study showed Lion’s Mane Mushroom can boost immunity by increasing activity of intestinal immune system that protects the body from pathogens which enter the body
Recommended Daily Dosage: 500mg - 3,000mg a day.
7. Grape Seed Extract
What Is Grape Seed Extract?
Grape Seed Extract is exactly what it says - an extract taken from Grapes made by removing, drying & pulverizing.
They are rich in antioxidants such as phenolic acid, anthocyanins and flavonoids.
However, Grape Seed Extract (GSE) is one of the best sources for proanthocyanidin which gives grapes their purple or red colour.
Because GSE is high in antioxidants, there has been research showing its preventative properties which can protect against oxidative stress & inflammation.
5 Benefits of Grape Seed Extract:
- Could Reduce Blood Pressure - A study of 16 studies showed that supplementing with GSE can reduce systolic & diastolic blood pressure
- Could Improve Blood Flow - A study showed reduced leg swelling in healthy women during prolonged sitting
- Could Reduce Oxidative Stress - A study showed 87 people that underwent heart surgery who supplemented with Grape Seed Extract reduced oxidative stress
- Could Improve Collagen Levels & Bone Strength - A study showed flavonoid consumption may improve collagen synthesis & bone formation and as GSE is high in flavonoids, it may help do the same
- Could Improve Brain Function - A study showed Grape Seed Extract may help prevent memory loss, improve cognitive status & reduce brain lesions
Recommended Daily Dosage - 100mg - 800mg daily.
What Is Kudzu?
Kudzu is a vine which belongs to the pea family and has been used in traditional Chinese.
It is known for how quick it spreads and covers nearly everything in its path.
America used it to prevent soil erosion, but it famously took over farms + buildings.
5 Benefits of Kudzu:
- May Reduce Symptoms of Alcoholism - A study showed Kudzu Extract reduces alcohol consumption in binge drinkers
- May Reduce Inflammation - A study showed Kudzu reduced inflammation and exhibited antioxidant effects
- May Help Ease Upset Stomach - A study showed Kudzu has a thick, viscous consistency which coats the stomach & protects it from excess hydrochloric acid
- May Help Relieve Symptoms of Menopause - A study showed Kudzu could reduce hot flashes from going through the menopause
- May Help Regulate Blood Glucose Levels - A study showed the Kudzu Root could help regulate glucose as it has been shown to guide glucose to spread away from fat cells
Recommended Daily Dosage: 1.5g - 3g Daily.
9. Milk Thistle
What Is Milk Thistle Extract?
Milk Thistle is a herbal remedy which is a prickly plant that has distinctive purple flowers & white veins.
The group of plant compounds that act as the active ingredients are called silymarin (65% - 80% content).
Silymarin has been known to have antioxidant, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
5 Benefits of Milk Thistle:
- Promotes Liver Protection - A study showed improvements in the liver function of people who ingested milk thistle
- Help Prevent Age-Related Decline in Brain - Used as a traditional remedy for neurological conditions such as alzheimer’s and parkinson’s, milk thistle has shown neuroprotective properties
- Could Help Protect Bones - A study showed milk thistle was able to stimulate bone mineralisation & possibly protect against bone loss
- May Lower Blood Sugar For Diabetics - A study showed that Milk Thistle may work similarly to diabetic medications helping improve insulin sensitivity
- May Improve Cancer Treatment - A study showed the active ingredient, silymarin, has been shown to have some anticancer effects
Recommended Daily Dosage - 420mg a day.
10. Black Cumin Seed
What is Black Cumin Seed?
Also known as Nigella Sativa, Black Cumin Seed is a shrub found in the East.
The shrub produces fruit that has tiny black seeds and these seeds have been used for thousands of years.
A once ancient remedy has begun to rise in popularity in recent times as an immune-boosting supplement.
5 Benefits of Black Cumin Seed:
- May Reduce High Blood Pressure - A study showed 2 months of supplementing with black cumin seed had reduced high blood pressure in people
- Fight Candida - A study showed strong antifungal effects against candida albicans when taking black cumin seed
- Decreased Asthma Symptoms - A study showed anti-inflammatory effects by reducing the inflammation in bronchitis symptoms
- Reduces High Cholesterol - A study showed Black Cumin Seed to be high in fatty acids such as linoleic & oleic acid which may reduce high cholesterol
- Soften Skin & Hydrate Hair - Many products are using Black Cumin Seed to help increase moisture in the skin & hair
Recommended Daily Dosage - 2.5ml x 2 daily.
11. Pelargonium Sidoides
What Is Pelargonium Sidoides?
Pelargonium Sidoides is a medicinal herb and is a plant-derived pharmaceutical.
It is highly potent and has been used as a herb in South Africa for traditional medicine.
The plant has shown immune boosting benefits.
5 Benefits of Pelargonium Sidoides:
- Help Alleviate Bronchitis - A study showed a 40% - 60% success rate with patients who suffered from bronchitis reporting symptoms being fully resolved
- Reduce Cold Symptoms - A study has shown P. Sidoides Extracts have shown to neutralise bacteria & viruses with a reduction in cold or sinusitis symptoms
- May Help Fight Stomach Ulcers - A study showed Pelargonium Sidoides to fight the bacteria, Helicobacter Pylori
- May Help With Respiratory Defense - A study showed a reduction in the duration and severity of acute upper respiratory tract infections
- May Help With Tonsillitis - A study showed an improvement in symptoms of children suffering from tonsillitis
Recommended Daily Dosage: 60mg Daily.